Kadri Bodhi Monastery KDBM is a Buddhist meditation centre dedicated to the flourishing of Buddhist teaching, practice, art and culture in Australia. KDBM is entirely run by a team of dedicated volunteers with a common vision of creating and offering a spiritual sanctuary for the lay community to learn and deepen its understanding of Buddhism.
The principle purpose for the establishment of KADRI BODHI MONASTERY in Australia is to:-
- Encourage individuals to serve the community through great compassion, wisdom and the blessings of the Triple Gems.
- Transmit Buddhism within Australia through the promotion of study and dissemination of Buddhist teachings, emphasising the teachings of the Karma Kagyu School of Tibetan Buddhism.
- Respect and follow the spiritual and teaching directions of His Holiness the Seventeenth Gyalwang Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje, Supreme Head of the Karma Kagyu Lineage of Tibetan Buddhism and their successors, under the Spiritual Directorship of His Eminence Venerable Dekhung Gyaltsey Tulku Rinpoche.
- Provide and encourage the practice of Mindfulness/meditation training for the spiritual, physical and mental wellbeing of the community.
- Provide a place of learning and practice for the lay community by organising and conducting classes, courses & discussions on Buddhist and associated teachings, Buddhist culture, art and language.
- Foster goodwill, mutual understanding and friendship among Buddhists, other religious groups and the Australian Community with the aim of nurturing and promoting multiculturalism and harmony within our society.
- Provide spiritual guidance and assistance to the sick and the dying.
- Support the religious needs of the Sangha in Australia and Sikkim (India).
We follow the 900-year-old Karma Kagyu Lineage in Tibetan Buddhism where a great emphasis is placed on the continuity of oral instructions passed on from master to student. The Kagyu Lineage traces its origin back to the historic Buddha, Shakyamuni and Marpa Lotsawa, the great translator and yogi, who brought the unbroken lineage from India to Tibet and hence, this great Golden Rosary tradition still continues to our present time with H. H. the 17th Gyalwang Karmapa Ogyen Trinley Dorje.
Our Spiritual Teacher is His Eminence Venerable Dekhung Gyaltsey Tulku Rinpoche. Rinpoche-la is a highly revere senior teacher of the Karma Kagyu Lineage of Tibetan Buddhism and has received the “Archarya” (Master’s degree) qualification in Buddhist philosophical education from the Karma Sri Nalanda University. He is a well versed scholar and embodies the non-sectarian spirit and teaches in all Tibetan Buddhist traditions. Moreover, Rinpoche-la has studied and practiced as a qualified physician in the field of Tibetan Medicine and Chinese Acupuncture; he is also regarded as a highly respected healer in the Tibetan and Sikkimese community.
He has been instrumental in management and the day to day administration and welfare of the monastic bodies in Sikkim, India, notably Rumtek Dharma Chakra Centre (the international seat of H.H. Gyalwang Karmapa) and Drupkhong Meditation Centre (started by H.E. the Third Jamgon Kongtrul Rinpoche).
Rinpoche-la is currently the sole representative of H. H. the 17th Gyalwang Karmapa Ogyen Trinley Dorje in Australia. He tirelessly dedicates his times between Sikkim (India), Malaysia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Australia and New Zealand and benefits sentients beings by teaching extensively in many languages (Tibetan, Mandarin, Cantonese and English) and overseeing numerous International Kagyu Monlam programs.